Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tacos in Brooklyn

There's a place on the corner of 23rd and Fifth Avenue that I have been going to for a few years. At first it was a Mexican grocery store which opened up a small taco grill. A few months ago they added changed the place around. The grocery store section became a lot smaller and the taco section expanded.

These are not your California burritos but the traditional: 2 corn tortillas wrapping a grilled meat, salsa, guacamole and jalepenos. Excellent and mouth watering. I love the carnitas.

Funny thing on the day I ask the owner if he minds if I tell the gringo world about his place I get mediocre carnitas. Now it could be a bad day, the regular cook wasn't there, but it is a bad omen.

Insider's Note: This area of Fifth Avenue has had a large Mexican population (and restaurants and grocery stores) for quite a while -- 10, 15 years or more.

Across the street, on the corner of 22nd Street there is another Mexican taco place. They originally had a small taco stand in the middle of the block. They were excellent. I haven't been to the new fancier sit-down restaurant.

No comments: